Monday, August 12, 2013

Instant gratification

So I'm noticing something... I mean, I guess I'm not just now noticing it. But, it's something I have seen and feel is becoming an epidemic in the "Millennial" generation.

Instant gratification.

That's right. And no, I'm not being sexual or gross. I'm talking about my generation's inability to look forward because everything we do must be instantly rewarded, or seem like it anyway. I know I use traffic my scenarios a lot, but since I spend TONS of time in it that's when I do a lot of my thinking.

Today I as driving along, doing my routine. I have certain lanes I get in at certain times just because I eventually need to be in the fast lane, but it doesn't always move the quickest. As I'm putting along during rush hour, I notice a small car weaving in and out of the nearly bumper to bumper traffic.

This seems stupid, since it isn't getting this person anywhere. But, nonetheless, when one lane is moving that's where he/she goes. That lane comes to an abrupt stop and he/she cuts in front of someone to get into one that is moving. It's a vicious cycle.

Meanwhile, I pass this person about four times just because I am staying steadfast in one place. Sure, this crazy loon is passing me periodically and it makes me want to drive faster, but I know that in the long-run I will end up sailing by because I can see down the highway.

Take this concept and apply it to life. So many kids of my generation want it all without working for it. They want that instant gratification. Yet, I know that if I work hard at a starter job and get a great resume together that I can eventually choose where I want to go because I am making myself a commodity.

Now, these kids refuse to work hard for anything or even TRY to get a job, and instead are working at McDonalds with college degrees making $8 an hour when they could have gotten a starter job out of college and put in the time to make themselves valuable. But, they aren't looking to the future. They want it NOW, RIGHT NOW. And, that just isn't the case.

So while I know that this little car may pass me from time to time, and it makes me want to jump into that lane too, that if I just keep on truckin' at the pace I've set for myself it will pay off, God willing.

Let me ask you this. How valuable are you at your work?





No comments:

Post a Comment